sc. Clan
Welcome to the home of the Scare Clan sc. Please be respectful and welcome.
sc. Clan
Welcome to the home of the Scare Clan sc. Please be respectful and welcome.
sc. Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WELCOME TO THE HOME OF THE SCARE CLAN

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Thoughts & opinions on this?

Go down 
+3
sc.Slayer|A
sc.CroW|C
sc.neVar<3|C
7 posters
AuthorMessage
sc.neVar<3|C
Commander
Commander
sc.neVar<3|C

Thoughts & opinions on this? Empty
PostSubject: Thoughts & opinions on this?   Thoughts & opinions on this? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 7:49 pm

Was just wondering if you notice any errors with this build? I plan on making this in the next few months, therefore I can futureproof for, lets say, 10-15 years.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1fjQF
Back to top Go down
sc.CroW|C
Commander
Commander
sc.CroW|C

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts & opinions on this?   Thoughts & opinions on this? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 8:45 pm

hmmmm
Back to top Go down
https://scareclan.forumotion.com
sc.Slayer|A
Administrator
Administrator
sc.Slayer|A

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts & opinions on this?   Thoughts & opinions on this? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 6:46 am

Looks like a good build. Why not go up to LGA 1150 and get a 4770k? Not much more expensive. MSI makes good mobos. I use an asrock though. I have used G.Skill for a while. Never had any problems out of them. Keep an eye out for an ssd. They are worth every penny. I have a full tower Cooler Master. They are great cases. Asus is where it's at for monitors these days. I have that keyboard, beware. They sound like damn type writers. Very loud. But I like the feel of the keys. Look into noctua cpu coolers. A little bit more expensive but worth it if you plan on overclocking. (which you should) I have a i5 3570k at 4.2 ghz and it never misses a beat.
Back to top Go down
sc.0ver|A
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts & opinions on this?   Thoughts & opinions on this? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 8:33 am

Mostly the same thoughts as Slayer about the CPU, same goes for your graphics cards. Overall there's nothing really wrong with the build, I'm just a bit more nitpick-y with some of the details.

You might get a power supply that has gold or platinum certification, it'll save on energy over time and keeps it cooler, and modular is nice for a lot of things including clutter in your case and airflow, no need for extra wires. Instead of Cooler Master fans, consider changing them out for something by Noctua, which are powerful and quiet, or even some fans Corsair does are nice. Not quite sure about the sound card, but that's your choice, and it depends what you're using it for. As for the SLI, do keep in mind that those cards, with that cooler design, will pump all of the hot air out of your computer into your room, and will get quite hot, especially the top card. It can become a problem in warmer areas of the world.

Last thing to think about is upgradability in terms of SLI and the version of windows you bought. The SLI part is fairly straight forward, you're limited if you ever decide to change video cards any time soon unless you're selling the other two. For that version of windows, if you're actually buying the OEM version, it gets mad about the changing of parts, especially the motherboard, it'll make you reactivate it (and maybe reinstall).

Other than that I don't have anything to say about the rest of the system, the motherboard is fine, RAM is RAM, and your HDD is by a reputable brand. You'll have to tell me how the 144hz monitor works out for you, I've always wondered if it made a difference.
Back to top Go down
sc.Slayer|A
Administrator
Administrator
sc.Slayer|A

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts & opinions on this?   Thoughts & opinions on this? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 3:28 pm

I agree with 0ver, Get a modular PSU. I will always prefer one GPU over SLI. But those 680s would be pretty powerful.
Back to top Go down
sc.RaGnaR|C
Administrator
Administrator
sc.RaGnaR|C

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts & opinions on this?   Thoughts & opinions on this? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 11:56 pm

I agree with the comments made by slayer and over except, I LOVE SLI AND CROSSFIRE!
You won't regret it trust me just keep updating your graphics drivers to the latest and there are no problems at least none that can't be solved with minimal fuss.

A good bang for the buck 1150 mobo i find is the new Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H.
http://www.eteknix.com/gigabyte-z87x-ud3h-z87-motherboard-review/
It has great features that we all actually use and like to have at our disposition.
It also has an independent audio amplifier for analog headphones. This i can say from experience makes a big difference in sound quality for music AND games.
You could make do with this set-up and invest in an ssd like OCZ'S new 450 to install your OS and most used programs and apps on i tand buy your sound card later.(that is an awsome sound card btw)

As much as i like Asus and Asrocks Extreme4 and 6 boards, i am truly a Gigabyte fan because of the flawless dependability, stability and staying performance over time (quality japanese caps and other goodies) that i have seen from them.  I built my current set-up 5-1/2 years ago and i didn't even give it proper burn-in time (overclocked from 2.83ghz to 3.8 right from day 2...). It is still kicking AND SCORING THE SAME ON ALL KINDS OF BENCHMARKS, both synthetic and live gaming.

Also remember that you can always keep your case, optical drives and your PSU so don't cheap out on the PSU. Whip out the stash and get a QUALITY gold or platinum unit with AT LEAST 850 watts and 70 amps on 12v line for 2 top end Nvidia cards in SLI. It's good to leave some headroom so you can account for capacitor aging and if you want to ad stuff later like a fan controller etc.

Playing the latest games with all the eye candy on and at 1080p and still have the frame rates above 60 at all times is only really possible with the kind of horsepower a SLI or Crossfire system can deliver PERIOD.

COD4 is real easy on pc's but try cranking up the eye candy on Crysis 3 or Metro Last Light or Far Cry 3 and watch your pc melt and crawl, asking for mercy!  BTW those games are just awsome, you find yourself stopping in the middle of the game some times just to admire the view. Stunning visuals.
Back to top Go down
sc.neVar<3|C
Commander
Commander
sc.neVar<3|C

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts & opinions on this?   Thoughts & opinions on this? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2013 6:51 am

Just another thought, a friend of mine brought up a price saving from going from 2 8gb sticks to 4 4gb sticks, and as a thought, which would be better, the corsair vengeance or the g skill ripjaws?
Back to top Go down
sc.RaGnaR|C
Administrator
Administrator
sc.RaGnaR|C

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts & opinions on this?   Thoughts & opinions on this? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2013 8:49 pm

That's a good question. Personally i like to fill all the memory slots and save money at the same time but some will argue that if you need more memory in the future you won't be able to add some because you filled all your memory slots.

Used to be when motherboards had an integrated memory controller, i believed like many others that the pc seemed more responsive when using all available channels. But today with say the 4770k the processor takes care of that as it has an integrated memory controller so i don't think you would see any differrence in performance or responsiveness by using all slots.
But, if i were building a new rig now i would defenitely go with 16gigs of rams (the most you can use with windows 7 home premium 64bit) and go with the cheaper alternative because i doubt you'll need more ram anytime soon. Unless you become an engineer and plan on using programs like AutoCAD and the likes.

Back to top Go down
sc.Slayer|A
Administrator
Administrator
sc.Slayer|A

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts & opinions on this?   Thoughts & opinions on this? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2013 8:58 pm

I have 8 gigs and playing bf3 I only use ~40-50% of my memory. So double that would be fine for a while. I have two 4 gb sticks.
Back to top Go down
sc.RaGnaR|C
Administrator
Administrator
sc.RaGnaR|C

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts & opinions on this?   Thoughts & opinions on this? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2013 9:01 pm

For your second question i would buy whatever offers the biggest bang for the buck as both your choices are very good. G SKILL is a company founded by enthusiasts and the ripjaws z also come in 2133mhz speed with cas 9 timings. Their prices are resonable considering the performance you get and they look sharp to boot.

Too bad OCZ stopped making memory modules, THEY were fantastic! Hand tested and lifetime warranty.

You can't go wrong with Corsair, i never bought anything from that company that wasn't spot on.

So if both sets have the same density/speed/timings, go for the less expensive one. That's what i would do.
Back to top Go down
sc.ThuMper|C
Commander
Commander
sc.ThuMper|C

PostSubject: hello   Thoughts & opinions on this? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2013 3:30 am

i think nevar should buy us all bad ass pc's so we have a chance against him
Back to top Go down
http://wtm1469@sbcglobal.net
Butt Muncher
Clan Member
Clan Member

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts & opinions on this?   Thoughts & opinions on this? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 7:55 pm

You should think about getting a SSD for a boot drive, you will notice a dramatic improvement in performance. Also, If you know anyone with a e-mail address that has a .edu at the end you can go for the Microsoft Student discount, it's Windows 8 pro for $60. Windows 8 is easily tamed so that it boots directly to desktop and the start button is restored, no messing around with Metro interface. Also Win 8 is faster than 7
Back to top Go down
sc.RaGnaR|C
Administrator
Administrator
sc.RaGnaR|C

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts & opinions on this?   Thoughts & opinions on this? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 11:31 pm

True, but windows 8 IS windows 7. Just slightly altered in a few ways including being optimized for SSD's.
Which is why it's slightly faster.
There is very little measured difference between the two though, nothing the average NEVAR would notice, but windows 8 is slightly faster than 7 in certain programs EXCEPT FOR GAMING where they exchange blows depending on the game.

Well at least that's what i read in an article comparing the two.
Back to top Go down
sc.CroW|C
Commander
Commander
sc.CroW|C

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts & opinions on this?   Thoughts & opinions on this? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 11:15 am

sc.ThuMper|C wrote:
i think nevar  should buy us all bad ass pc's so we have a chance against him

and make him use a commodore 64...ps I absolutely can't stand windows 8...uninstalled and put 7 on my laptop that came with 8.
Back to top Go down
https://scareclan.forumotion.com
sc.RaGnaR|C
Administrator
Administrator
sc.RaGnaR|C

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts & opinions on this?   Thoughts & opinions on this? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 30, 2013 1:00 am

Maybe a commodore 32 if there is such a thing
Back to top Go down
sc.neVar<3|C
Commander
Commander
sc.neVar<3|C

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts & opinions on this?   Thoughts & opinions on this? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 30, 2013 3:54 am

Haha.. I like the ideas.. And win 7 is my personal favorite. Besides, I was trying to keep a budget and thought about the ssd idea for faster(duel) boots and 1 or 2 faster games.. as well as running all the RAM slots. And playing games that require massive loading such as games that can get intense. Such as farcry3 or world of warcraft. Plus the duel gpu would make streaming a whole lot easier with little to no fps lag, spikes, or drops.
Back to top Go down
sc.Slayer|A
Administrator
Administrator
sc.Slayer|A

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts & opinions on this?   Thoughts & opinions on this? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 30, 2013 7:14 am

Windows 8 is vista all over again.. horrible. Built for tablets mainly.
Back to top Go down
sc.neVar<3|C
Commander
Commander
sc.neVar<3|C

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts & opinions on this?   Thoughts & opinions on this? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 30, 2013 8:51 am

Vista is much better than 8 imo.. I currently play games on vista and have found no problems with this.. I have also played with win7.. Both excellent imo. I have also used win8 and all I can say is FUCK(excuse the lang) that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts & opinions on this?   Thoughts & opinions on this? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thoughts & opinions on this?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
sc. Clan :: General Discussion-
Jump to: