sc. Clan
Welcome to the home of the Scare Clan sc. Please be respectful and welcome.
sc. Clan
Welcome to the home of the Scare Clan sc. Please be respectful and welcome.
sc. Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WELCOME TO THE HOME OF THE SCARE CLAN

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Just decided to make a new rig setup (thoughts).. whats everyone's opinion?

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
sc.neVar<3|C
Commander
Commander
sc.neVar<3|C

Just decided to make a new rig setup (thoughts).. whats everyone's opinion? Empty
PostSubject: Just decided to make a new rig setup (thoughts).. whats everyone's opinion?   Just decided to make a new rig setup (thoughts).. whats everyone's opinion? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 18, 2013 8:32 pm

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/24tUM

I tried to keep it under 2grand, and w/o the monitor it is well under that with just about $1750 or so.
Any suggestions on whether this is a good build or not; or different ideas with cpu's, gpu's, etc?
Back to top Go down
sc.RaGnaR|C
Administrator
Administrator
sc.RaGnaR|C

Just decided to make a new rig setup (thoughts).. whats everyone's opinion? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just decided to make a new rig setup (thoughts).. whats everyone's opinion?   Just decided to make a new rig setup (thoughts).. whats everyone's opinion? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2013 12:02 am

Hey nevar that's a great build but...

The only component I would change is your psu, even at that low price, I would not buy it.
Antec psu's are, well let's say they have a bad rep. I have read about them before and although they have changed their manufacturer (Delta is now building their psu's), there are still much better psu's available for around that price range such as Corsair's excellent TX850 V2 which is built by Seasonic and is more powerful than that 900w, more reliable and can easily manage a second gtx 780 should you choose to add more graphic horsepower in the future.

I would also consider the newer 1150 socket 4770k cpu/mb combo which should be around the same price and is a notch above. Every other component you chose will work on the newer z87 chipset/motherboard.

You will love that velociraptor... coolest mechanical hd ever. I got one.

P.S. The XFX PRO 850 is identical to the Corsair TX850 V2.
P.P.S. I have never seen that cooler at such a low price! However if you plan on anything above a moderate overclock with that 3770k, you will definitely need a more efficient cooler.
Back to top Go down
sc.neVar<3|C
Commander
Commander
sc.neVar<3|C

PostSubject: Re: Just decided to make a new rig setup (thoughts).. whats everyone's opinion?   Just decided to make a new rig setup (thoughts).. whats everyone's opinion? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2013 12:49 am

So according to what I read, this would be a WHOLE lot better: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/24Duw   ??

PS: I forgot that I chose a z77 in that build instead of a z87. Completely over the top of my head, thanks for reminding me.
Back to top Go down
sc.RaGnaR|C
Administrator
Administrator
sc.RaGnaR|C

PostSubject: Re: Just decided to make a new rig setup (thoughts).. whats everyone's opinion?   Just decided to make a new rig setup (thoughts).. whats everyone's opinion? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2013 12:59 am

Ha it's cheaper too! lol
I think it's mucho better.
Back to top Go down
sc.RaGnaR|C
Administrator
Administrator
sc.RaGnaR|C

PostSubject: Re: Just decided to make a new rig setup (thoughts).. whats everyone's opinion?   Just decided to make a new rig setup (thoughts).. whats everyone's opinion? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2013 1:03 am

The tx can actually deliver around 980 watts.
Back to top Go down
sc.neVar<3|C
Commander
Commander
sc.neVar<3|C

PostSubject: Re: Just decided to make a new rig setup (thoughts).. whats everyone's opinion?   Just decided to make a new rig setup (thoughts).. whats everyone's opinion? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2013 1:03 am

Another thought, is it only good to run sli if you're going to do a multi-monitor setup? Mad
Back to top Go down
sc.RaGnaR|C
Administrator
Administrator
sc.RaGnaR|C

PostSubject: Re: Just decided to make a new rig setup (thoughts).. whats everyone's opinion?   Just decided to make a new rig setup (thoughts).. whats everyone's opinion? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2013 2:00 am

That depends on you.
Of coarse sli or crossfire will better run multi monitors at hi def. Especially if you want the best image quality at the same time.
But many love it just because you can max out the quality on the latest games and enjoy them the way they were meant to be enjoyed.
If you've ever seen/played say Far Cry 3, Crysis 3 or Company of Heroes 2 just to name a few with ALL the eyecandy on, i'm sure you would agree that the visuals are simply stunning.

You can see and hear your pc working hard to properly render every frame. It's a little geeky I know but personally I love playing games just like that. I enjoy the progress made in games and electronics since the 80's and to me opening up the side of a pc case is a lot like opening the hood on a nice car.

That being said, Sli/Crossfire adds ALOT to the cool factor on any pc and especially a gaming pc.
Also don't listen to those ppl that say it's full of problems, it's not.
All you have to do is download the latest drivers for the latest games, sometimes a patch but that's rare, that's it.
Back to top Go down
sc.neVar<3|C
Commander
Commander
sc.neVar<3|C

PostSubject: Re: Just decided to make a new rig setup (thoughts).. whats everyone's opinion?   Just decided to make a new rig setup (thoughts).. whats everyone's opinion? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2013 3:00 am

Just took the fans off the part list as most cases come equipped and changed the case as well. new rig here: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/24GDf
$1615.86 w/o the monitor
Back to top Go down
sc.RaGnaR|C
Administrator
Administrator
sc.RaGnaR|C

PostSubject: Re: Just decided to make a new rig setup (thoughts).. whats everyone's opinion?   Just decided to make a new rig setup (thoughts).. whats everyone's opinion? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2013 11:46 am

Found a Cooler Master V6GT cpu cooler. 9.99

Newer , better than Zalman 9500. More appropriate for 4770k.

Can't believe that price!!! $9.99 for what is a great air cooler.
Back to top Go down
sc.RaGnaR|C
Administrator
Administrator
sc.RaGnaR|C

PostSubject: Re: Just decided to make a new rig setup (thoughts).. whats everyone's opinion?   Just decided to make a new rig setup (thoughts).. whats everyone's opinion? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2013 12:01 pm

Never seen that case, but very nice indeed. Finally a nice case from Rosewill.
It is huge which is both good and bad. I like because there is lotsa room, but it also takes lotsa room in a room...lol
Back to top Go down
sc.Toxic*|C
Administrator
Administrator
sc.Toxic*|C

PostSubject: Re: Just decided to make a new rig setup (thoughts).. whats everyone's opinion?   Just decided to make a new rig setup (thoughts).. whats everyone's opinion? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2013 3:09 pm

Ragnar good find ..Yes 10 dollars would be a great price - and looks like it may be in part to being discontinued per. Newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103089  if you can still get it

Another good cooler, is the Cooler Master Hyper N520 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103057 and fairly good price of 37.00 dollars
Back to top Go down
http://chownsecurity.com
sc.0ver|A
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Just decided to make a new rig setup (thoughts).. whats everyone's opinion?   Just decided to make a new rig setup (thoughts).. whats everyone's opinion? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2013 6:27 pm

As per usual, Ragnar has hit the nail on the head about what he said, I'm still against SLI/Crossfire because of micro-stuttering issues (although there has been progress with that!) and diminishing returns. :PBut especially the power supply, last thing you need is it frying your system, having a lot of excess heat, or wasting your money on electricity that need not be wasted.

As for the cases... I might be wrong, but I remember hearing Rosewill cases are just newegg's generic brand they put on anything they can get and can have some quality issues (sharp edges, weak construction, etc). If you want a good case, there's a lot of better brands out there, depending on your style.

Antec makes some decent low-end cases around 50-70$, fairly basic but decent quality and still look nice, having heard a lot about their 300 series cases and their One series case(s).

Although I can't speak for their quality, a lot of people use NZXT cases, which are usually around 100-150$ before people who like the angles and specifically White Cases or Colored Cases, although some cheaper and more Basic

And then Corsair... they have a lot of cases, from large to small and cheap to expensive, even some that try to look like ammo boxes. I'm not even gonna try to start linking them all, but they're all good quality and worth a look. There was a huge trend when Sandy Bridge processors came out that EVERYONE was getting a 600T, makes me almost sick to look at it these days because it was such a generic, overused case.

Personally, I'm a fan of SilverStone, just because some of their cases are different than the norm. I think it was This One that had you mount the motherboard with the graphics cards vertical. I also liked the TJ07, despite it having a few issues with the side panel fitting, but I've heard their TJ series has gone downhill Sad

But really, pick your case wisely. The ones I listed here (specifically the NZXT ones) might not be the ones I was thinking of or would suggest, but just as examples of the basic styles and pricing of many of those companies' cases. Always good to have cable routing holes to make sure you have proper airflow, and obviously that your motherboard, video card, and cooler will fit in it (it should anyway, but always be careful)

I don't know much about coolers, but the rest of it all seems nice. Out of curiosity, are you going to be using the HDD from your current computer? Or is that 500GB going to be enough? After living on 80GB for about 9 years, I thought filling up the 1TB I had would be impossible... yet I've already maxed it out once and it's only been about 2 1/2 years. This ended up being longer than I wanted it, as it always seems to be, but I like being informative!
Back to top Go down
sc.neVar<3|C
Commander
Commander
sc.neVar<3|C

PostSubject: Re: Just decided to make a new rig setup (thoughts).. whats everyone's opinion?   Just decided to make a new rig setup (thoughts).. whats everyone's opinion? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2013 7:56 pm

I was going to use that hdd. I had a 500 GB sata II hdd and it took 7 years to get it near full. I had 50 gb of space left before the hdd fried.
Back to top Go down
sc.RaGnaR|C
Administrator
Administrator
sc.RaGnaR|C

PostSubject: Re: Just decided to make a new rig setup (thoughts).. whats everyone's opinion?   Just decided to make a new rig setup (thoughts).. whats everyone's opinion? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 20, 2013 12:14 am

The velociraptor is great. It loads windows and games sooo fast it makes you wonder why you waited so long to get one. They also have a longer service/life expectancy than normal hdd'ss and ssd's.
Only ssd's are faster, but at much more $$$ per gigabyte.

If I were to build now and had money, i'd get an ssd to load windows and most used apps with probably 240-256g range and I would raid 2 velociraptors 500 or 1tb.

If I were counting dollars, I would start with what you chose, 1 x 500g velociraptor and upgrade later if needed.
Back to top Go down
sc.RaGnaR|C
Administrator
Administrator
sc.RaGnaR|C

PostSubject: Re: Just decided to make a new rig setup (thoughts).. whats everyone's opinion?   Just decided to make a new rig setup (thoughts).. whats everyone's opinion? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 20, 2013 12:35 am

Very informative indeed Over and your right about that TJ07, very beastly but HUGE!

Nevar did you ever take a look at the slightly more discrete (not too gamer boy) but bad a** Cooler Master 690 II. It's got a nice size, big but not too big and roomy enough for a pair of gtx780's, watercooling etc.

I've built a dozen pc's using these (original model though) because they have everything you need that's important and are known for offering a high level of bang for the buck.

When the first 690 came out around 2007 you were seeing a lot of ppl modding these with really nice results.
I think Toxic has the 690 II.
I think CM just came out with a CM690 III. A very successful model and for good reason.

I found one at 83.00. It would further reduce the total expenditure of your pc building adventure without affecting the cool factor.

OMG the geek meter is peaking!
Back to top Go down
sc.0ver|A
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Just decided to make a new rig setup (thoughts).. whats everyone's opinion?   Just decided to make a new rig setup (thoughts).. whats everyone's opinion? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 20, 2013 1:53 am

Branching here for just a moment, Nevar doesn't have to pay attention to this, I just wanted to comment on the SSD thing Ragnar is talking about. It really depends where your priorities are with parts. You mentioned a 256GB SSD would be nice, and it would, they've really been dropping in price (arouind 50 cents per GB these days) so you can get one for about 150$-ish. Still expensive, but if you had the budget and you went with something like a 770 vs a 780, there's your 150$ for the SSD. Even if you had 60$ to throw at one, sometimes it's worth it for a 128GB just for an OS/important programs. My only issue with SSDs has been a lot of programs are poorly designed and force themselves onto the C:/ drive.
Back to top Go down
sc.RaGnaR|C
Administrator
Administrator
sc.RaGnaR|C

PostSubject: Re: Just decided to make a new rig setup (thoughts).. whats everyone's opinion?   Just decided to make a new rig setup (thoughts).. whats everyone's opinion? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 20, 2013 2:02 pm

Also found 2 x 8g, 1866mhz, cas 10, Corsair Vengeance
CMZ16GX3M2A1866C10
I like those GSkill's but 9 dollars less is 9 dollars less for same performance maybe even better as those Gskill's are optimized to run those speeds on intel lga2011 whereas Corsair's are made for lga1150/1155 from what i read.
Back to top Go down
sc.RaGnaR|C
Administrator
Administrator
sc.RaGnaR|C

PostSubject: Re: Just decided to make a new rig setup (thoughts).. whats everyone's opinion?   Just decided to make a new rig setup (thoughts).. whats everyone's opinion? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 20, 2013 2:10 pm

Wow over here i cant get anything under 205.00 for that size.
Good info there Over. I've heard about little problems with ssd's through some friends of mine that work at the store where i buy my pc stuff.
Also some firmware problems of some sort, don't exactly remember.
Back to top Go down
sc.0ver|A
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Just decided to make a new rig setup (thoughts).. whats everyone's opinion?   Just decided to make a new rig setup (thoughts).. whats everyone's opinion? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 12:31 am

I guess it more depends on where you live, catching sales, and when companies are releasing new stuff that affect SSD prices. The way it is now, the higher the capacity the better the price. so perhaps my 50cents/GB was a bit optimistic, but you can still find cheap smaller (128-256GB) SSDs if you are willing to look around and wait for sales.

I want to say that firmware issue was a crucial drive thing that caused bluescreens after a certain number of reads/writes, but that was fixed last year. It was a big mess and you had to manually update your firmware which could have bricked the SSD if something went wrong, which was a much more costly problem than it would be today.

An unfortunate part of the SSD market is that it's fairly stagnant right now. We had some drives coming out near the beginning of the year, if I'm remembering correctly, that were already hitting the SATA3 limits WITHOUT data compression. I'm sure we'll see some more steps forward once SATA4 comes, but even that seems far away with SSDs being such a small part of the market.
Back to top Go down
sc.Toxic*|C
Administrator
Administrator
sc.Toxic*|C

PostSubject: Re: Just decided to make a new rig setup (thoughts).. whats everyone's opinion?   Just decided to make a new rig setup (thoughts).. whats everyone's opinion? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 1:09 am

Ragnar, you are correct I have the Cooler Master 690 II - well made, great price and every thing stays cool ...
Smile
Back to top Go down
http://chownsecurity.com
sc.neVar<3|C
Commander
Commander
sc.neVar<3|C

PostSubject: Re: Just decided to make a new rig setup (thoughts).. whats everyone's opinion?   Just decided to make a new rig setup (thoughts).. whats everyone's opinion? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 1:21 am

That case is a mid tower whereas the Rosewill is a full tower.(put the mid tower on the list instead of the full)
Also changed the tf card for the lightning card: has an extra fan on it and put the price lower.

Is now under $1600(w/o the monitor)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/25QY4
Back to top Go down
sc.RaGnaR|C
Administrator
Administrator
sc.RaGnaR|C

PostSubject: Re: Just decided to make a new rig setup (thoughts).. whats everyone's opinion?   Just decided to make a new rig setup (thoughts).. whats everyone's opinion? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 10:50 am

I like the MX-2 thermal interface material and i'm glad it's on there but the V6GT and coolers in general come already with their own TIM. I think it's well worth keeping it as it's probably better quality than those.

I once changed the TIM on an X1950 PRO and saw a real 3-5 degree cooler temperature while playing COD4.
Needless to say, i was pleasantly surprised seeing the hottest temp lowered that much just by replacing the goo on the cooler with OCZ FREEZE compound.
I put some pics there hope you can see.
Back to top Go down
sc.RaGnaR|C
Administrator
Administrator
sc.RaGnaR|C

PostSubject: Re: Just decided to make a new rig setup (thoughts).. whats everyone's opinion?   Just decided to make a new rig setup (thoughts).. whats everyone's opinion? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 11:07 am

Again great information there Over, gj.
Back to top Go down
sc.RaGnaR|C
Administrator
Administrator
sc.RaGnaR|C

PostSubject: Re: Just decided to make a new rig setup (thoughts).. whats everyone's opinion?   Just decided to make a new rig setup (thoughts).. whats everyone's opinion? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 11:18 am

Can anyone see the pics I uploaded?

TY
Back to top Go down
sc.neVar<3|C
Commander
Commander
sc.neVar<3|C

PostSubject: Re: Just decided to make a new rig setup (thoughts).. whats everyone's opinion?   Just decided to make a new rig setup (thoughts).. whats everyone's opinion? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 11:19 am

I forgot to add this yesterday But the cas timing on those gskills are superior,if I remember correctly it was 8-9-9-24
Which I Think is quite superb compares to other ram around that area. Also, that paste and such was just general info, correct?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just decided to make a new rig setup (thoughts).. whats everyone's opinion?   Just decided to make a new rig setup (thoughts).. whats everyone's opinion? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Just decided to make a new rig setup (thoughts).. whats everyone's opinion?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next